Sunday, March 29, 2009

San Francisco Day 4

There is a beautiful park right in the middle of downtown SF.
From here you can see Neo-Classical and Modern skyscrapers right next to contemporary buildings.
There are oldChinese doing Tai Chi, and young mixed race art students taking photos.

Right here, right now everything is right with the world

Tomorrow I will be going back to the hustle and bustle of normal life.
I don't know how many momoents of timelessness I will get in the next little while.
* * *

I went to the SF Virgin Megastore today.
Partly for posterity's sake, not that it's a hugely momentous occasion, but it could be one of the signs of The End. I also wanted to score some CDs at 50-75% off.
I couldn't do it. Too many of the employees had this numb, shocked look; they'd stare off into space. Some of them seemed about to burst into tears.
Being cool is a prerequisite to working here.
The reason behind the stares is that Virgin fucked these kids over, and it has only started to dawn on them that in 30 days they will be out of job, and people like me are only there to hump the corpse.
I looked around to say that I'd been there and, feeling dirty, I left.

No comments:

Post a Comment