Thursday, March 26, 2009

In Transition

Impressions of San Francisco Part 1
1. It's odd that even though I am still in what should be considered "a familiar civilization," the traffic here scares the shit out of me (no joke, my bowels are loose and it's not the water).
2. In Canada, we're used to thinking of ourselves as multi-cultural. Vancouver has nothing on this town. In a four block radius around my rooming house I could have a fully halal breakfast made by Pakistanis, walk around the corner for dim sum, go up a flight of stairs for gefeltefish (for lunch). And then I could go down an alley-way for a Vietnamese dinner, and then down the street for dessert at an artisanal ice cream place. And this in the sketchy part of town. While on said food bender, I'd be listening to a mix of gentrified English, ebonix, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Spanish, Persian and Urdu. Like I said, Vancouver has nothing on this town.
3. It's really big.
4. It's fucking warm; 15 Celsius at 7:30am in March... who does that?
5. Things are cheap. Food, beer, coffee, smokes. This morning for breakfast I got a sticky bun and a large americano for under $3... Who does that?

No comments:

Post a Comment